Sunday, March 18, 2012

Subitizing Dots

I'm probably behind the times, but I just learned about subitizing and why it's important to use in our classrooms. If you're like me and this is a new concept then click HERE to read a great article about subitizing.

I love the idea of teaching kids to play with numbers and practice different ways to make numbers. For example, we can show the kids eight dots and ask them all the ways they can make or see eight. Some will see the 4+4, while others will see 2+2+2+2. Either way, the answer is the same, but the point is getting kids to quickly see those patterns to find the answer so they're not just counting to eight. Does that make sense? If not, read the article :o)


Click below to grab your copy of my Subitizing Dots activity

1 sweet comments:

Unknown said...

This is awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing this!

Brenda @ Primary Inspired