Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Knight and the Dragon

I love this book by Tomie dePaola (he's one of my favorite authors). It makes a great read aloud, because there are so many pictures without any text, and the students can create their own dialogue to go along with the pictures.


One fun activity I wanted to try with my summer school kids is to read this book, then have them do some writing to make up their own dragon and knight story. I've been searching through web pages and blogs with the hopes of finding an activity that does just that. Most of what I found were students drawing pictures and dragons and knights and going from there. I love that idea, but summer school is only 3 1/2 hours long each day, and with centers, math, and reading, it just seemed easier for me to make up my own worksheet. It's not my best work, but I think the kids can get creative with this. Just have your students write what they think is happening in the story, based on the pictures (it's kind of vague, but I was hoping this would lead to many different interpretations.

Click on the picture to get your copy.


What fun activities do you do with this book?

0 sweet comments: