Thursday, March 17, 2011

Helping hands

Like many people world-wide, I feel a need to do something to help out the people in Japan after the devastating earthquake. So I'm organizing a school-wide service project. Yikes, right? I'm hoping it'll be pretty easy, actually. We're collecting items needed to make hygiene kits through the LDS Humanitarian Center. I just sent a note home with the students with a list of all the items needed for the kits and they can donate whatever they can. Then next Friday I'm going to take advantage of all our college students in our classrooms and have them put the kits together. Sounds easy enough...I guess I'll let you all know how it goes next weekend.


Here's a list of the items needed to make a hygiene kit:
  • 2 unbreakable combs (no sharp handles)
  • 4 toothbrushes (packaged)
  • 1 tube of toothpaste (6-8 oz., no pumps)
  • 2 bars of soap (approximately 4 to 5 oz.)
  • 2 hand towels (new towels, approximately 15" by 25". Please do not use dish towels or washcloths. To sew towels, serge or zigzag the edges of terry cloth to make a 15" by 25" towel.)
If you're interested in doing something like this with your class / school / organization please let me know. I'd love to help!

1 sweet comments:

Lindsey said...

this is a great idea! :)