Wednesday, March 30, 2011
Monday, March 28, 2011
Sunday, March 27, 2011
Thursday, March 24, 2011
1. Teaching is another form of acting. There have been quiet a few times when I’ve taught them a lesson that I’ve pretended to love (this leads to #2).
2. Students really do mirror your face. So the more excited and into a lesson I get, so do my students.
3. Most first grade problems are easily solved by an ice pack, a Band-Aid, or a drink of water. “Serious” problems require all three.
4. Sometimes parents can be the hardest part about teaching (this has been my best year though!).
5. Always bring Tylenol to take right before the bus ride on field trip day. First graders love to sing LOUDLY on buses.
6. I I’ve met some of my best friends through Parent-Teacher Conference.
7. Going to a student’s piano concert / dance recital / sports game makes a HUGE difference. They will then believe they are your favorite.
8. My husband teaches 12th graders and we’re constantly amazed at how we can use the same techniques.
9. Teaching is a job that does not end at 3:45! At least not for good teachers.
1 0. Everyone (there’s no age limit) loves to be read to. Junie B. Jones is a great read-aloud for first graders. She’s so stinking funny!
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
Saturday, March 19, 2011
Thursday, March 17, 2011
- 2 unbreakable combs (no sharp handles)
- 4 toothbrushes (packaged)
- 1 tube of toothpaste (6-8 oz., no pumps)
- 2 bars of soap (approximately 4 to 5 oz.)
- 2 hand towels (new towels, approximately 15" by 25". Please do not use dish towels or washcloths. To sew towels, serge or zigzag the edges of terry cloth to make a 15" by 25" towel.)
Monday, March 14, 2011
Thursday, March 10, 2011
So to help her out, I have my students look for "Mystery Trash" every day right before they go home. I choose a piece of trash (or just something that needs to be picked up / put away) and whoever finds it get's a penny (I use fake coins as my incentives).
The kids LOVE it! I had no idea they would be so into picking up trash, but they do it every day and I've been told that I have the cleanest floors in the school. Give it a try - you won't be sorry!